Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Anticipation

Well I am in a holding pattern now. I've gone through almost all of the steps to proceed with the surgery and have the last one to go this Friday. I'm hoping after doing the psych test that they will be able to get my surgery date scheduled.

I've already started to try and change my habits. Sipping water throughout the day is one of the biggest as well as trying not to drink 30 minutes before and after eating. The consumption of water is not hard for me. I have, ever since my kidney cancer, been drinking between 6 and 8 bottles of water a day. My goal after surgery is 64 ounces and I've been doing ~96. Only thing is I don't sip the water. Generally I'll open a bottle and down it!  The other hard part will be the not drinking before/after. I haven't tried that yet but that will be my goal for next week.

I can't wait for the surgery. Heather, as well as other people, have asked me when I want to do it. I told them as soon as possible. If they tell me we'll do it tomorrow I'm there! With other commitments that Heather has, since she will need to stay with me a few days, I'm hoping that it will be either the beginning of or mid March.

One thing that I find interesting is arguments that I have heard from some of my family against having the surgery. The first was, do I realize how much my life will change. Yes, I am fully aware. The argument along with that is you won't be able to eat like you do now. I get that, it's the point. However, I've been reading up on what I can/cannot eat and found a wonderful blog (http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/) that has a plethora of recipes that I am going to try once I get out of the 5-6 week phase after surgery. Granted those first 3-4 weeks after surgery my diet will be very different, going to clear liquids, to liquids, to basically baby food but once that phase is done and I'm eating solid foods my options will be rather open. The biggest thing is that I have to get my protein first!  That I do not think will be an issue for me. I love proteins. I'm not that big of a carb eater. Sure I like bread, but I don't have to have it with every meal. My biggest problem is the quantity of food that I eat. With a smaller stomach, that isn't going to be the problem.

The other argument, or solution I was given, is you know you're going to have to give up so much. Things like alcohol. Honestly that isn't a big deal for me. Sure I drink, but it is not that often. Heather and I love to go out on our patio after the kids go to bed and have a glass or two of wine and an cigar. We can still go out on the patio and sit and talk, the alcohol isn't mandatory. I can live without it. I was then told, OK, so you're willing to give that up, just do that now, why do you need the surgery? Well the biggest reason is like I stated above. I consume A LOT of food when I eat. Sure I could cut my portions, that's what a diet is, but due to the size of my stomach those cravings and the sensation of not feeling full is still there. With the smaller stomach it is going to take a lot less (3-4 ounces total) to fill my stomach. The cravings won't be there because I didn't consume enough food.

Ah well sometimes it's like talking to a wall. As I told this relative. My mind is made up. I've educated myself on this procedure, and continue to, and am steadfast that this surgery is going to help me lose weight and enable me to be around to grow old with my wife, watch my kids grow old and one day play with my grandchildren. Without this surgery I don't think that would happen.

Hopefully my next post will be news of a surgery date! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment